Monday, October 17, 2011

Week 2

Tomorrow we go in for cast #3 so I should update how the second set of casts went.

The thing that surprised me most was how emotional the removal of the first set of casts was. I had to awkwardly hold him in my lap as they cut the casts off. He started screaming right away as they moved his legs into an uncomfortable position, and then to top it off the saw was really loud and little chunks of plaster flew into his face. It was really hard to look at him and to see tear-filled eyes staring back up at me with a look of "how could you let them do this to me?"

After the casts came off they gave us 10 minutes to feed him and try to calm him down. His legs seemed a little limp like he forgot how to bend his knees. I hope he doesn't have problems using his calves after this is all over.

The second set of casts went down just like the first set. He screamed and screamed and turned bright pink. Tomorrow I think we're going to try and bring a bottle and hopefully distract him a little.

On the plus side, the first week of casts seem to have really helped his feet. Check out the difference after the first set were removed compared with last week:



No comments:

Post a Comment